Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Blog Roundup: Week of October 14, 2013

I spend a lot of time reading the blogosphere.  About 99% of the low-carb/paleo/real food/nutrition blogs out there publish a lot of what I consider to be "unuseful" information along the lines of:  "Gosh, I can't believe everyone doesn't eat the way I do.  Let me rant about how bad I think people are who don't agree with the way I eat."  While this can occasionally be motivating, most of the time I believe it's a waste.  Articles, posts, and podcasts which give information, tools or techniques are things that will help keep me (and anyone else concerned about their weight and health) going on the right path.

So when I find blog entries, podcasts, or news articles that ARE useful and fit in with the goals of this blog, I will summarize them for you in a "Blog Roundup".  This week I've found a few good things for you to read or listen to.

First is an interview with Dr. Barry Sears (creator of the Zone Diet) on Smarter Science of Slim with Jonathan Bailor.  Dr. Sears gives quantitative advice and techniques on how to optimize your diet to improve your weight loss and health.  Very much worth the 20 minutes or so listening.

Second is a follow-on posting at DietDoctor.com regarding the recommendation by Swedish health authorities that low-carb dieting is more effective.  This post has some specific information regarding the "MyPlate" guidelines and how to change them for a low-carb lifestyle in keeping with the new recommendations.

Lastly, the Low-Carb Diets site at About.com has a newsletter this week on sweeteners.  Laura Dolson, who manages this site and newsletter, is knowledgeable and practical in her assessments on topics of sweets and diets in general.  I find her advice is the one I gravitate to whenever I have a question on something "controversial" or debatable.

Enjoy these postings as you educate yourself on how to be healthier.  Have a great week.

2 comments:

  1. I am getting educated re the low carb diet and I am 80 years old! Thanks to my son, I am starting to eat more healthily than ever, and since losing a lot of weight to preserve my knees, I am now trying to incorporate a bit more of what I am learning into my diet each day. Good, smart and fun eating to us all!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touche - Dave has inspired his colleagues (me in particular too ! ) I am seeing the difference.

    ReplyDelete