Sunday, September 29, 2013

A New Season

With this season, my son's 5th year as a youth hockey player, I come in 45 pounds lighter than last year--lighter than I've been in my 18 years of marriage.  And with a new season both for hockey and for my health, my head is filled with all the promises and fears that comes with new beginnings:

  • Will my son play well?
  • Will I maintain my weight loss?
  • Will his team be successful (last year wasn't a great year win-loss wise)?
  • Will my family adapt with me to my low carb lifestyle or will they freak out and call for the head of the cook?

I guess at this point all I can do is hope and count on the things that have been learned:

  • My son has at least started to understand the value of work ("Hey, if I work hard, I play better and the coaches notice, too").
  • I've learned how powerful diet is to losing weight.
  • We've all learned (especially, the parents!) that the value in sports and hockey is not simply games won or goals scored, but how skills are developed and honed and making/renewing friendships and the sharing of good times.
I've said that this diet will be the last diet I'm ever on.  I hope I can keep that promise.  This blog will share my steps on that journey even as I juggle late night practices and early morning games, and struggle to eat the way I should even while on the road at the next tournament.  To everyone starting their own new season I wish you good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment